United to Fight, Social Injustice
Black Abortions By The Numbers
In the United States, the abortion rate for Black women is almost 4 times that of White women. On average, 900 Black babies are aborted every day in the United States.
- More than 19 million Black babies have been aborted since the 1973 Roe v. Wade U.S. Supreme Court decision legalized abortion in our country.
- Black women have a significantly higher abortion rate than Whites and Hispanics.
- 6% of all abortions in the U.S. are performed on Black women, however, Black women make up only about 13% of the female population.
- African-Americans are no longer the nation’s largest minority group. Today, Hispanics have outpaced Blacks in population growth.
- For every 1,000 live births, non-Hispanic Black women had 420 abortions. Non-Hispanic White women had 121 abortions /1,000 live births.
Louisiana abortion 2016 statistics:
- There were 8,972 abortions performed in 2016. That means there were, on average, 25 abortions per day.
- 34 girls under the age of 15 had abortions in 2016. Another 811 girls between the ages of 15-19 aborted their babies.
- The largest number of abortions – 2,668 – were performed on women between the ages of 25-29. There were also 1,127 women ages 35 and older who had abortions in 2016.
- Women categorized as “non-white” accounted for 70% of abortions performed in 2016.
- 85% of women who had abortions in 2016 were unmarried.
- Nearly 70% of babies were aborted within eight weeks of pregnancy.